Saturday, April 3, 2010

Why?

I am starting this blog because I, a fairly attractive yet aging woman, find dating after 55 totally and completely confusing if not somewhat ridiculous.

What I really want is to miraculously discover a few men I feel totally comfortable with, that I can laugh and cry with, discuss life and children and pets with, and then without any guilt about not choosing the others, choose the one I find most attractive and He would of course find me to be mutually endearing and that would be that. I know this is not reality.

I have a feeling, but no certainty (I was able to get the name of this blog with no problem after all), that I am not alone in finding that dating is even more challenging now than it was in high school.

Oh my god oh my god oh my god. I said it.

The chemistry is different. Life patterns, rituals, annoying habits have been set. Children have been had or not had. Few women unless they are crazy or blessed, want or can have babies after 55. Men can produce a child almost up until the day they die. For women after 55 evolution has done it's work. Does this mean, evolutionarily speaking of course, that Mother Nature doesn't care if women over 55 all jumped off a cliff? I really mean it.

Of course we can all continue to be great mothers, achievers, creators of legacies but does evolution care? And why does that matter? Attractors. What becomes the attractors for women over 55 who want to be in a romantic relationship? What are the attractors for men over 65?

Why do I say over 65 for men? Because most men I know under 65 still think that young women find them attractive. For most men this is an illusion created by cars and bank accounts, but it continues nevertheless, until after 65 when there is no escaping the reality of why Bambi is still in the house.

Most of us female over 55'ers can no longer be trophy wives unless we are Lauren Hutton, multi-millionaires or have had so much surgery that it's a bit creepy.

Really, what are the attractors for us female elders, ancient of dayers (I refuse the word crone! Who the hell came up with that anyway? You might as well say old witch. I would prefer that.)

There are plenty of Discovery channel shows on what the attractors are for young ovulating women. We now know that women go from disliking the scent of men to craving the scent of men when they are ovulating. Interesting? No? Yes? I think yes. We now know that the perfume industry was created so women would like the smell of men 7 days a week. Now I guess the first thing I have to do is go find a male perfume I like and give it potential dates and see if I am driven to a frenzy. If I give the scent to men I really don't care about will I do really stupid things? Interesting social experiment here.

Men evidently always like the scent of women who have the strongest immune systems unlike there own. There is then a rather large crowd for them to choose from.

Anyway I have been wondering if I put my feelings and thoughts out there would I;

1. Find my feelings and thoughts totally confirmed which would convince me to refrain from dating forever

2. Find that I was totally out of sync and therefore so embarrassed that I would be self-exiled from dating forever or

3. Find souls of similar ilk and we could put our toes gently back into the proverbial dating seas together.

Technical blog details:

I am putting my blog in bold because my eyesight is just what half of the "THEYS" said would happen to eyes over 55. "THEY" said that my eyes would have problems like they would need special bifocal glasses, or surgery or new and improved bifocal contact lenses, which don't really work but vanity requires that I use them. THEY were right.

Of course the other half of the "THEYS" kept repeating like a mantra for 42 years that if you were nearsighted your eyes would get better as you got older. Totally and completely WRONG. Probably said at first to make a child who needed glasses since the second grade feel better about the whole crummy deal. But "THEY" just kept saying it and saying it until I was about fifty when "they" started telling me that everything that the other "THEYS" had been telling me was all wrong. I felt totally and completely ripped off! I had been waiting 42 years for that magical moment when my eyes would be fine and I could look at those with the magnifying glasses from Walgreens with fake pity. DAMN!!!!

So bold it is unless a bunch of you tell me bold is over done, obnoxious and actually harder to read.

Dating;
So back to the concept of dating when you have been receiving the AARP magazine for more than half a decade....AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I can't stand that I can say that! Really I can't. I can't breathe, I have to go lay down....later.....

Many deep sighs and connected breaths have been required to continue this conversation.

I actually have found that breathing into a paper bag for ten minutes really helps but I since I don't have one handy, I also find pulling the quilt over my head and disappearing for half an hour or so, as if I am some sort of subterranean creature, does the same trick.

O.K. so back at it, yes back to the subject at hand but first another logistical detail (am I avoiding something...? Not sure...) anyway I am going to divide thought groups into topics that might or might not be revisited later.

For example;

Does no biological clock vibes mean Mother Nature doesn't want you to date anymore?
Not sure.
I find dating without that biological clock that would drive me to blindly seek out and discover the strongest- bestest- alpha male available, kind of disconcerting. There is a big WHY am I doing this that still needs to be discovered.

I have a small group of wonderful men friends, most of whom I have already had a romantic relationship with and the issues that broke us up then, for the most part, still exist now. Surprise? Not. So who wants to go back there? Been there done that, so then now what?

Some why I don't date thoughts and feelings (more later);

Can't do guilt
I really don't want to "HAVE" to do things with someone just because I am dating them. If I really don't want to go to that art show or garden in the back yard and that is what they really, really feel like doing but I don't, what I really, really don't want to do is feel GUILTY that I don't want to, won't do or go or what have you. I am so over feeling guilty about anything. My 1/4 Jewish genes are screaming in protest but so be it. Shalom and shut up!

Can't do the B word
And then of course there is this tiny little detail about me which is that I am not a breakfast person. A cup of coffee or three or a pot of tea does me just fine. Occasionally I will throw berries and a piece of toast into the mix. That is is it though. Men tend to like breakfast for some reason that has always escaped me. Even my sons liked breakfast. They did not get the breakfast gene from me.


Cooking in general
I feel like I have cooked enough this lifetime to only want to either do it on special occasions ( which might just be on an odd Thursday, or for an un-Birthday or because I feel like it) or because someone is sick and needs something in particular (in which case I will over do it). So what do I say to the hearty "let's fix breakfast!" types?

My sociable hermit self revealed
And then oh-my-god-oh my-god!! what do I do with this person that I like enough to go to dinner with, spend a few months of going to movies, walks on trails in the woods with, gone to an art opening, maybe brought to dinner with my friends and then finally I have him in my bed but I definitely don't want him around the next day, even though I will want to see him later in the week (not that I have such a person at the moment)?

Sidebar Notes
( I promise I won't say anything about the father of my children or any male friend that I still talk to once a year)
The last man I dated, one of those mathematical genius types that happened to be really quite good looking, had panic attacks after a night of great sex. Issues of commitment, changing, creativity, self awareness, attachment and hurting those he loved all rushed over his psyche like people in Grand Central Station around 5 p.m. That was usually fine with me as he had to leave before breakfast and collect himself for a few days. Unfortunately for other reasons it just didn't work out. How likely am I to find another one of those?

These and a blogs worth of other thoughts are a few of the challenges that keep me from wanting to date at all. And yet I find myself inexorably, like salmon or something, thinking once again that it might be nice to have someone to cuddle up with, watch a movie and talk about the order of things. And yes of course there is the sex thing.

Other topics to include, online dating, better off alone, better off not alone, 100 good reasons to not be in a romantic relationship (not a problem), 100 reasons to be in a romantic relationship (problem), Dealing with the regrets of dreams un-manifested, roads not taken, the death do you part thing that now has some reality to it, and other things as they come up.

Do you have other topics? Thoughts? Opinions?

17 comments:

  1. Honored to be your first online commenter!
    I agree about men not aging according to their birthdays. They seem to be forever stuck in a time warp, maybe it is up till age 65, gasp. I have found men who are 50, think they are 35. Men who are 58 think they are 48, etc. Men who are 25 think they are 10-25. It's always a freaking decade at least behind the truth. And it creates a real lack of connection in some ways, and that looking for Bambi in others. I think it's insightful how you add this age thing up and place it right out there.

    Agree about cooking; and grocery shopping could be the reason. After 30+ years of this stuff, I agree. I'd rather go out or have 'him' cook. BUT---case in point my brother. 62, married to a second wife who's 27 yrs younger...and she cooks like Martha Stewart. So, there you go.

    I am afraid I have no brilliant answers on this..just a subtle head nodding in agreement.

    Another thing I realized lately is that if you find a caring, sweet man (late 50's) who does not run away after breakfast, who stays all day and the next night, he just might have a huge hole in his psyche that's wounded and he needs it filled. With you. Constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a 57 year old man who loves dating women my age and older. Always have. I often say that the best thing about getting older is older women. My standards of beauty and sexual attraction change with the times.

    In the past two years I've been involved with several women over 60, usually 60 to 63. A good looking, healthy woman in her early 60's can be sensational!

    Last year I had a great friendship with a delightful 67 year old woman. She claimed she was 62 and was upset when I revealed I knew she was 67, but I simply thought, wow, if she looks that great at 67, she's even more exciting than I had thought. One morning, she emailed me that she woke up early, thought it an extremely glorious day, felt wonderful, and would I be interested in doing a nude photo shoot of her later in the week? I replied with great enthusiasm and we began making plans for the shoot. Twenty minutes later, she dropped dead from a massive heart attack. Since then, I've focused on women closer to my own age.

    All I'm saying, Cynthia, is that men who admire women their own age exist in the world. But I'm aware that many single men my age live in a fantasy world in which they are interested only in young bouncy playmates. I think them extremely silly. Most are doomed, I think, to a solitary life as jackoff losers in dreamland. I don't get it at all. Do you really want to waste your time with them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sara for being my "first". I forgot about the grocery shopping, and the cleanup!. Maybe if I gave someone else the list AND they brought all the stuff in AND put it away AND helped out with the cooking AND the cleanup AND putting the stuff away after the dishwasher was done, I would be more inclined to cook. Actually I like to just cook.
    Thanks for reminding me and where did you say those late 50 year old men were?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you, my dear friend. You're off to a great start and I'm even a bit envious that so many people are commenting - here and on FB. I agree that it's long but if it's there to be expressed - Express On!
    I forgot about your 1/4 Jewishness -- where did that come from again?

    "My 1/4 Jewish genes are screaming in protest but so be it. Shalom and shut up!" has got to be one of the funniest lines I've ever heard. I actually laughed outloud.

    I think I'll have to borrow it, but I will give you credit.

    You'll notice I have't made mention 1 about the your subject matter -- that about tells my story with dating after 55!!!

    I Love You Always,
    susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I encourage you to try online dating. It's the best thing to happen to me in eons. I'm shy and don't easily meet people "free range". I didn't date much when younger because I first had to fancy myself "in love" before asking a woman out for coffee or a movie. That almost always got weird and out of proportion.

    But on sites such as Match.com, people can write in great detail about themselves. One can get an okay sense about someone simply by reading her profile and lists of likes, etc. Correspondences develop into coffee dates, and so on. After a while of playing the Match Game, rejection means little because one simply moves on. Meeting people and dating gets easier.

    I've corresponded with several hundred women online and have had coffee dates with as many as a hundred. From there, a generous handful of friendships of varying themes have blossomed. Coffee dates that don't work out mean little; it's no big deal. The good friendships that develop are what one focuses on. I've been very lucky and have had no really negative experiences. Some extremely bizarre ones, yes, but nothing hurtful or upsetting.

    While a longterm, committed romance has yet evolve from my online adventures, many good, nurturing friendships have. My past two years would have been very lonely and frustrating without online dating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I inadvertently used my business Google account so I'm just letting you know that the Medsonix Therapy Comment is me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As an over 60 under 65 guy just getting over a divorce from a 45 year old, I am rapidly approaching the point of which you speak, dear Cinny. Congratulations on your blog. It's wonderful to hear your voice and your laughter in my head as I read. Hey. I don't care where your anatomy's hanging these days, just do that thing you do with your eyes and your mouth when you say things that make me laugh so much and I'll hang with you forever. Come to Detroit. Hugging you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan I would recognize you anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. John Detroit we discussed, post the perfume statement! I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cinny, please do me a big favor and send me a bottle of that cologne of which you speak which attracts you wildly to men and makes you do stupid things. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this was a comment from a friend who would like to remain anonymous but she gave me permission to post her thoughts here; thanks Anonymous!

    It's certainly a pertinent subject for many of us (I'm 59) & I find it very interesting. I have most of the same thoughts, feelings, etc. regarding this subject. Especially "Why was it I'm doing this?" I do differ in one area: I actually do not think it's really very different from when we were teenagers. My goal may be different than yours, too, if I understood you correctly. I'm looking for a life partner (I have lots of life left!). I don't know if you saw what I posted on the ACoA facebook page, so I'll repost it here:
    I've just broken up with the man I'd been seeing for almost a year. This is #2 in less than 3 years and I will now be listening to myself much more closely in the future! One of the many things I've learned in my ACoA program is "if they look & feel & sound real familiar--like I've known them forever, RUN... LIKE HELL AS FAST AS I CAN!!!! Don't stop to question myself, don't hang around to wait & see, Just Run!!!" If they feel "comfortable" and as though I've known them my whole life, it's because I have! I've again been attracted to what I know--my family background! After this latest experience, I see all of this much more clearly (finally!) and think I'm going to be able to do a better job of implementing what I've learned next time.
    That's basically where I'm at with all of this. Hope some of it proves helpful/useful:) Like I said at the beginning of this comment, I think you've made a very good start and this is a very interesting and pertinent subject!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't connect with the previous post. I maintain a strong faith in the basic goodness and pleasure of women and don't regret any close relationship I've had. Maybe I'm just a a naive dufuss, but I don't think my basic trust in women has ever been betrayed on a fatal level. If I meet someone who feels like home, I'm in heaven. Because I come from a crazy-ass family, I don't usually hang with crazy-ass women.

    ReplyDelete
  13. On second thought... I DO hang out and love crazy-ass women, and they DO feel like home, but I eat it up or move on...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cynthia, this looks like a fun and provocative blog! Hope it goes well.

    As a 57 yr old man, I have never thought too much of dating. I just do the things I am passionate about and unscientifically find myself in a relationship. I think what attracts me to other people is their passion. I recall visiting a friend who was in her 80's on the last day of her life. She lived in Nantucket and when I saw her she said, "I am embarrassed for anyone to see me like this... I must look awful." The sun was shining in through the window and her bed was overlooking the water as the sun brilliantly reflected the sparkling blue water, glistening with flashes of light. I replied, "Your blue eyes are more effervescent than the sparkling ocean. You are radiant!" She broke into a huge smile. I had never seen her look so beautiful. Though her body had cancer, she was a pistol all of her life... just full of life. Today, when I see the ocean, I am reminded of the light in her eyes. I was grateful to have visited with her as she passed the next day. To me, she was exciting and sexy. I am not implying that I had a sexual relationship with her, but I did find her most attractive.

    Passion is one of the links or connections that some of us share. The body might wrinkle, the hair might gray, but the fire is the same. Today, when I start the engine of a plane, I smell the fuel hitting the cylinders and I have the same enthusiasm as I did when I was 17... I am equally appreciative of being blessed to be able to fly as I was when I was 17 which leads me to the second distinction... gratitude. To me it is a turn on when someone is genuinely grateful. Not the "Boulder Buddhism" grateful but really to their soul... grateful.

    Another thing that resonates with me that you said was your appreciation for intelligence. Wow!!! That is certainly on the values compass list! Intelligence gets better with age, is richer... fuller.

    There are times in our youth when we had responsibilities that dictated our schedules, but to be able to read poetry or investigate at will on our i-Pads is just incredible. I was marveling at the i-Pad I just got and when I looked up a NY Times story about Baghdad I saw some photos. So I clicked on a photo to enlarge it. WOW! It was a photo of an Iraqi woman whose facial expression you could tell just lost her loved one. Perhaps it was the incredible clarity of the photo, or that I was holding it in my hands that made the war become so personal. The point being that content is literally at our fingertips... we are no longer removed.

    When I think of all the technology that has progressed in the last 10 years it is breath taking. How lucky are we to be able to live in this world with the technology?!?!? And to share our thoughts here on your blog.

    You taught me about the Values Compass and I am forever grateful. In matching yours and others' values compasses together should be ample room for nuclear (self propelling) reactions that would lead to the best relationship of all time. We are definitely all getting better, in spite of our bodies that are trying to keep up. In the end, so long as there is fire in the eyes, I would say that life is good... in spite of its pains.

    I think love is all around us, all the time. One word of caution, you might get bitten by love and find that you have an insatiable desire to cook up a storm! I wouldn't throw away the good pots and pans yet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doug , you often amaze and surprise me! You have convinced me to keep the pots!
    I love you. Thank you for putting so much soul into your response.
    Merry Christmas and beyond!!! (inside joke)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cynthia, it's your little sister and i just read every single reply and was filled with chills, butterflies, all while gushing w/happiness! these people are not only intelligent but CURIOUS! Do you know how many people twice my age seem "stuck", done w/the questioning of life, they seem BORED (maybe it's because everything is so scheduled and organized??) and deeply PAINED by life's kicks (glass half empty??), but NOT you and not your friends! it shows that this journey never ends for people like I... if you invest in your life (not just your existence) than you're not so much worried about the "D", death (or damned) because you're still evolving, still thinking "what the hell is this all about?"! it's like this society has finally realized EVERYONE is living an "ALTERNATIVE" lifestyle! this so much makes me feel a closeness with Chief Seattle's, "there is no death, just a change of worlds", we're all in a preparation for somewhere bigger, somewhere we will connect w/dad's spirit again... God, that quote about the the hitman mowing the lawn was a twilight flashback!!!! laughed out loud! I miss him every moment...LOVE YOU AND LOVE THE BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cynthia, just so you, know, Sara is me, Terri. The Google account thing again.

    These are terrific replies! I love the Values Compass as it reminds me I did it too with you, at that wonderful old hotel in Delray. My main keyword was expressive I think.

    Your sister seems like a vibrant 'warrior' too. Love meeting the old and new friends here, posting..

    ReplyDelete